Wednesday, November 29, 2006

driver side

Someone broke into my car.
I left the driver side door open last night.

The funny thing is I remember thinking that I hadn't locked it...but I thought it would be safe.

They had to crawl over the driver seat to get into the glove compartment.
At first I thought - maybe all my stuff had just fallen out...?
But that is pretty much impossible.

My old sunglasses are still there, my owners manual is still there, my car insurance information is still there, my supply of tampons are still there, my mixed tapes are still there, my broken compass is still there - just all on the floor now.

They didn't take anything or leave anything.
I don't know what I was expecting - maybe a note of explanation? A message of who they are and why they did what they did?

I guess they did leave something for me - a sense of violation.
Which is like a pit in your stomach that doesn't go away.

6 comments:

Anne said...

So do you think I should keep my car unlocked...that way I won't have my windows smashed? What do I do??

Unknown said...

You totally hit the nail on the head...it feels violating! I felt like my innocence was taken away with my CD player when my jeep was broken into. It's a horrible feeling and I'm sorry.

Christa said...

Sorry to hear about the break-in Anne. Just thought I'd stop by to say hello. I hope all else is going well with you.

the Wootang said...

have you ever eaten chilequiles? that, too, is like a pit in your stomach. a very fiery pit

Trisha said...

Oh Anne, how awful. I don't know why people do those things. Sending you a hug!

Teresa said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I would still keep the car doors locked though. Someone who carries around something to smash windows would still smash windows, I imagine.

When things like that happens, it makes it difficult not to suspect everyone who passes by.