Wednesday, September 13, 2006

conventional


I just went to the grocery store hungry.

I realized it wasn't a good idea once I had already opened the Milano cookies and started eating them in the baking aisle.

Shopping at a conventional grocery store is crazy.

Just walking up and down the aisles overwhelms me.
There are so many boxed up - wrapped up little meals and snacks.

Sure it is convenient and cheap....but is it worth it?

Why is it that in Iowa we import food from thousands of miles away but if we just step into our backyard we are growing the same thing?

Why do we choose to feed ourselves and our families food that has been processed with pesticides and poisons?

I choose to support local farmers. I choose to buy organic. I made this choice not because it is trendy but because I believe in it and what it means. Supporting local or organic farmers means more money into our community, less petroleum used in transport, and it makes a difference in my body and on the environment. It just makes sense to me.

I hate the argument that organic food is more expensive.
I think that is a bunch of bullshit.

We are already paying a higher price for these conventional choices.


Amanda had some thoughts on this topic as well.

2 comments:

Scott said...

I agree with you, I buy a lot of organic things and often wonder why i see tomatos being imported from mexico when we grow tonnes of them here in Ontario in the summer and in greenhouses all over the place all winter... so odd.

Good post.

Scott

Buffy said...

In the baking aisle?? Lol.