Sunday, May 01, 2005

lebeda

Went to IKEA after work on Friday (work was only 5-10 am). As I am stocking my cart (all for Jake) with sets of dishes, glasses, silverware, bathroom towels, comforters and shower curtains I look up and see Mary, Jake's Mom!!! It was hilarious and so great to see her! We had fun walking around IKEA together and definitely decided we needed more time to really explore, there is so much tempting cool stuff!

On the drive down I called Jake and found out that the flowers I had had delivered to him for his birthday had not arrived....hmmm...I called the florist and asked if they had been delivered. To make a really long story short, the flowers were delivered to his old address (my mistake) but the current tenants had ACCEPTED the flowers after the delivery woman asked if "Jake" lived there! I was shocked. When I arrived in Ames I knocked on their door and saw the flowers and said, "Hey those are not yours! You freaks! Can I please have those back?! Gosh, idiots!" I didn't really say it exactly like that but you get the idea.

After I recovered the flowers Jake and I went to pick up the keys for his new place, the office closed at 5 pm and we made it just before five. When we got into the apartment we discovered that the electricity was not hooked up. Again, it is Friday, after 5 pm now. Do you think the electric company is open? No, of course it is not. Do you think the woman at the apartment office said anything about hooking up the electricity before we arrived...No, of course she did not. What were we to do for the entire weekend? Sixty dollars later the emergency electrician came out and hooked us up. This was frustrating because this service is free Monday through Friday 8-5 pm.

Friday night we went shopping at Target to get the essentials. Jake literally has nothing. Another two hundred dollars later he had oven mitts, dish towels, toilet bowl brush, bath towels, two garbage cans, and a knife!

Saturday. Jake had a Lego League/Invent Iowa thing. I watched him present to a group of parents and their "gifted" kids what FIRST Lego League is all about and how it is so great. In the middle of Jake telling this powerful story about the letters they get back from kids explaining how Lego League has changed their life....A girl in the front raises her hand and asks, "Are you going to demonstrate the robot?" Typical.

"Lebeda, Lebeda, Everybody Knows ITS...Lebeda." Have you ever heard this jingle? Jake was convinced that he has heard this jingle his entire life. I said that I had never heard it and it was probably just an Iowa thing. The guys at the mattress shop said that it was just successful brainwashing. We left the place with a queen size wonderfully soft mattress!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I **LOVE** that you recovered Jake's flowers from his old place. That is so awesome. I am not sure if I'd be able to do that, but man, when ya pay for something..... sheeeeeesh!!!

Also, what is Lebeda?

I love Ikea. They're supposed to be building one in Detroit soon, but that's still over 2 hours away. *longing for Ikea*

Anne said...

Jayleigh,

Lebada is a popular mattress store in Iowa.

You will absolutley love IKEA, it is addicting.

Thanks for the comments!!